i recently delegated myspace to “i’ll check it to make sure i don’t
my scattered thoughts on the topic:
1) myspace is dirty. it is like a seedy college frat bar at 2am. it smells like puke, there’s bad hip hop blasting so loud nobody can talk, there’s some skanky girl dancing semi-topless on a table in the corner, there’s a desperate guy buying all the girls around him shots asking “where’s the after party you guys?”. i hate going there. it makes me feel like less of a human.
2) friendster, by comparison, is somewhat wholesome. sure there’s a lot of dumb and slutty people, but the ratio is much lower, and it seems like the people on friendster are just a little less… i don’t know… horrible?
3) on friendster i actually know most of my friends. the exceptions are fake profiles that i think are funny, like tenacious d and a few others. on myspace i get invites from tons of people i don’t know. there are people with thousands of friends. this is not the spirit of a social network; such networks are built on the concept of six degrees, and if everyone ignores this, the network is weakened.
4) on that riff, i get one type of friend invite on friendster- someone i know who has found me. on myspace i get 4 types: a) 16yr old girls who do not know me and are just trying to build a huge friend network, b) bands who just want me to listen to their crappy music and go to their stupid gigs, which they will invite and post bulletins about on a daily basis (the worst part being they don’t know me at all, so this is essentially just spam), c) gay guys (i had an extremely creepy 50yr old contact me once, it made me hate humanity), and d) very rarely i get an invite from someone i actually know. i don’t think i’ve ever denied a friend invite on friendster. on myspace it is an almost daily ritual. i hate it.
5) friendster has better features for finding people. the search tools are better, the “show connections to____” tool is great for both finding out how you might know someone and also finding out who you know in common. i have found many people i didn’t know were on friendster through this feature. the “who’s visited me” rocks. plain and simple. i’ll admit that the smiles are dumb and the bookmarks are mostly useless. but the living locally tab is awesome. and the friend tracker and birthday panel are great. and this built in blog is nice. and groups work better. all round i’ll let the numbers stand for themselves: myspace 171 friends. friendster 267.
so there, that’s why i hate myspace and love friendster. agree/disagree? discuss amongst yourselves.
addendum- they just added “grouper” a file sharing app. i invited all of you and put my itunes music library on it to see how good it is. i dont think its a good replacement for im or kazaa et al, but it might be really good for sharing stuff like videos and music on a person to person basis. i’ll keep my eye on it.